I realized when I was looking at this recipe that I had never made pudding before from scratch. Jello? Sure. Other pre-mixes? Sure. But fresh from the ingredients? Nope. This one is very tasty without overwhelming, but you still have to consume it in small batches. Super easy, no prep. Just put the ingredients in the pot.
|Type of meal||Cuisine||Difficulty|
|Cooking: 10 min|
Total: 10 min
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2.25 cups whole / homogenized milk (3.25% fat)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Mix together the first four ingredients (1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, and 3 tablespoons cornstarch) and start heating in a large saucepan on medium.
- Slowly blend in the 2.25 cups whole / homogenized milk (3.25% fat), about 75ml at a time (1/4 cup).
- Bring to a simmer, about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir or whisk lightly for 2 more minutes, as the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, letting it melt and stir until well-mixed.
Variations / Notes
- If serving cold, place in fridge for an hour first.
- Consider adding toppings such as cookies to dip (like biscotti), chopped nuts, cinnamon, or even small fruit.
See additional photos below.