My annual renewal date for my SmugMug account is in May, and I wanted everything done by then.
I did all the uploading. I added the captions. I tested the videos and replaced the ones that didn’t work with converted formats. I sorted and organized the order in each album. And then I re-linked everything to the blog articles that had photos in them. I also found some time in there to tweak the organization as I went, like moving cooking ones into a separate folder and doing virtual links back to the regular folders, adding in a lot of my humour and TV review photos even if they don’t need captions, etc.
It took a bit of time. Two months in fact. And it’s now DONE. Well at least that portion of it.
As I went, I got ideas for some blog entries. Plus some other ideas for uses of my photos. Found a few errors in other parts of the website. So I had to noted them on my update list, and some day I’ll get to them. Maybe now I can rest from the website work for a bit and then start on doing a few photobooks. 🙂
And just to close out the project? I closed and deleted my commercial account. RIP SmugMug, you served me well, but it’s time I saw other websites (like my own that is comparatively free).
The PandA gallery is up and live: https://polywogg.ca/pandafamily/. (to be updated)
Phase III: Fixing an embedding problem in WordPress One of the things I do with my photos, besides having them in a gallery, is embed them in various posts in my WordPress blog. For example, I have a section on the site dealing with an HR student conference from back in 2002, and I have a small album of photos with the conference docs. Those photos are stored with my Piwigo gallery, and embedded as a hot link in the WordPress pages. Simple, right?. But here’s the problem. The link to each photo currently says: http://thepandafamily.smugmug.com/yada yada yada Now that …Continue reading →
I was right, uploading took a whack of time. I also don’t much like one aspect of the upload window — if something “fails”, it gives you an error while the screen is still uploading so you can see it, but once the rest of the uploads are done, it just rolls over to a new screen showing the successful uploads. No continued error message to say “64 uploaded, 2 didn’t”. So I wasn’t monitoring as I went, and later in the subsequent phases, I’ve discovered “missing” photos and videos i.e. ones that for some reason didn’t upload successfully the …Continue reading →
If you’re following me on FB or Twitter, you might have noticed a series of reposts lately, partly as I realized my numbering style for my #50by50 posts were confusing people. Too many subcategories and I would likely not reach 50 items since I was grouping some. So I’ve gone back to numbering them individually where appropriate, and reposting. But with just over two months left, I realized that some of my possible plans are likely not going to happen. Dye my hair I put a lot of thought into this, which was probably a mistake. Because that thought was …Continue reading →
The best-laid plans of mice and men sometimes go astray. When I posted the first time about my new job, it was after a pretty extensive internal process for me personally — reflecting extensively on what I had liked about previous jobs, what I was looking for in a new job — and a formal job search across multiple areas. As I finished that search and said yes to the dress, so to speak, I went with a stakeholder relations job for disability pensions. I liked the way it was framed, there was a formal set of mechanisms in place, …Continue reading →